Thread: Second-hand fur

Default Second-hand fur

I am beginning to think that fur lovers have not heard that there is a recession. About a year ago I bid on Ebay for a fox stole comprising two pelts because it was in immaculate condition and i paid just under 14 for it. Two weeks ago I bid on another similar fox stole because of its condition, I am not particularly short of money so I put in a bid of 35 on the assumption that it would be mine; I looked after bidding had ended and it had sold for 52. I could not believe that someone was willing to pay close on four times what i had paid in only the space of a year.
    Since then I have been looking at Ebay UK and people are paying, relatively speaking a lot of money for real vintage fur; it makes me wonder who is buying it and why.

Default Re: Second-hand fur

Allfurme,

Actually the recession may have something to do with it. Mostly it's the current fashion trends that seems to be driving up the demand for fur, at least here in the UK. During this winter and last I have seen plenty of younger women wearing vintage fur jackets, coats and accessories, many of them following trends of our local/national celebrities. Add to that that vintage furs are relatively cheap compared to brand new designer or even high-street items and with the cold winters we've just had, no wonder more younger women are turning to vintage furs. So, not all that good for long-time fur fans who like a bargain but very good for your chances of seeing more furs out on the street! Swings and roundabouts, indeed.

Regards,
    Mr Mockle
    Mr Mockle now muses ... on Twitter: http://twitter.com/mrmockle

Further to my comment on inflated fur prices, take a look at this; of course there is a limit to how much a buyer would be expected to pay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Genuine-Vintag...item335b826288

Although I typically buy second hand furs on ebay myself, they are by no means vintage. I usually buy a fur thats typically 3-10 years old and is still in near perfect condition. and when it comes to buying those coats -- all of which are full length foxes --I haven't had to spend more than $547. The others were $530 and my latest (Which in a stroke of luck is also my biggest fur) was $405. So there are definitely plenty of bargains to be had. Did I end up paying the best price for these pieces? Probably not. But I was able to find 3 full length foxes and I still ended up paying roughly $1400 in the span of a year.

Superior FUR Member

Thing is, now fur is back in general fashion and not just on the runways. The fashion followers want it. These are people who may never have even seen fur in the "flesh" so have no idea of its worth and most people think fur is super expensive so will bid high. Its beyond a joke sometimes. I have really seen the shift on ebay. Its hard to get anything for a bargin on their anymore, to many dumb people bidding.

People get caught up on the 'RUSH' of an auction on ebay.I have seen all diffrent items go for way more than any reasonble price because of the'auction rush" feeling.same with furs or any other item.If someone gets carried away, they just bid more to get it .
    I AM THE LAW.

Riddle: The more you take away from it the larger it grows, what is it?
    Answer: A hole

FUR Enthusiast

Could not agree more, fur prices have taken a huge rise, in saying that I have been very lucky and got a lovely few furs this year to add to my collection.

I have that adiction. When I buy a fur coat it doesn't matter how expensive it is. Bought couple from the bay and always had that filing "just a litle more" and it always ended at almoast 150 more.

Hyperactive FUR Member

Fur prices are starting to go through the roof. Pelts have gone up 30% in the last six months alone and the reality is that only a finite number of pelts are harvested in any give year. Fur once again, is quickly becoming a sought after item through out the world. Because designers are taking fur to new levels in fashion and our grandparents’ fur styles appear to be going out of style. I was told by a fur buyer here in the US they expect to sell 40% more fur this coming fall; close to doubling last years sales. EBay furs are sure to follow this trend when it comes to pricing. I like to buy used furs from ebay to use as toys in the privacy of my home. The financial loss is easier to handle as those furs become soiled and discolored.

Hmm, maybe the prices have gone up, but the supply has changed a lot as well. Some years ago, the majority of eBay items were second-hand ones, sold by actual people who were owning or inheriting them. Nowadays most of the items are sold by importeurs or furriers and finding something nice / different is more difficult.

I am keeping an eye on several bidding sites and actually see the same pages full of the same picture over and over again - same item, brand new, several sizes, put on display every 24 hours. It is more difficult now to spot the second-hand finds in the sea mass-market production...

Addicted FUR Member

all i own is 2nd hand furs from e-bay, i am so hooked on those fox fur stoles and wraps you see in the old black n white movies. ive now got about 40 of them,ive only got burnt on one,it was dry ,but all the others are soft as can be,ive paid from ten dollars to a hundred,it depends on who is selling them , but i wont go over a hundred. i want to make a bedspread out of it all.

I have sold several furs; a musquash stole, a rabbit stole made to look like mink, a squirrel stole and a stole comprising six small animals that appeared to be foxes. I recieved a total of approximately 45 for them; neither good nor bad.

I have some fox pelts and other furs that I was intending to sell in October/November but there are so many on Ebay.

About a month ago I bought a stole comprising two silver fox furs, it is immaculate and so beautiful; I paid 73 for it and my limit would have been 120.

I found this one to be incredulous; either this person is from or on another planet or they accidentally shifted the decimal point two places to the right.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Fur-Co...item230a514bac

Speaking of buying furs second hand, has anyone here ever attempted to buy a fur on craigslist before?