Thread: Bad smell in old fur coat

Junior Fur freak

Default Bad smell in old fur coat

Can anyone help me with suggestions for getting rid of bad smell in an old fur coat dating to the 1960,s.
    The coat itself is hardly worn, the fur and lining appears in good condition. The pelts are soft , supple and the coat looks good but the smell is of carpet mites. I have had the coat in the freezer for a few days to get rid of the infestation and then hovered the fur but the smell is still present. Does anyone know of a remedy for this or is the coat U/S. Thanks for your help gray

Junior Fur freak

Default Re: Bad smell in old fur coat

It smells of carpet mites, what you are actually smelling is the faeces of the mites, I guess that is why furriers recomend putting furs in cold storage during the summer. Once you have smelled carpet mites you will know exactly what I mean, just thought someone might have come across this problem before. Thanks

furskinsfox05

To remove the smell: take it to a furrier for professional evaluation, cleaning, and glazing.

Store it in a box with fresh ground coffee beans for about 2 weeks.
    Don't let the powder touch the fur! Only the smell of the coffee should reach the fur.

The coat will smell like coffee for about 3 days........and after no smell at all.

The thing with the coffee is a trick to get smell out of cars.....for me it also worked for furs.

Only thing you risk is......the coat smells like coffee

Junior Fur freak

Hi I am going to answer my own question here as I have found out how to remove the bad smell and it actually works. First put the coat in a bin liner expelling as much air as you can and then put liner and coat in a chest freezer for three days. This will kill all wildlife (dust mites/house mites). After three days remove from freezer and allow coat to defrost in bin liner. Mites are now history but smell will still persist so you now remove coat from bin liner and put it in the dryer along with six tennis balls and three sheets of Bounce. Run dryer for one hour on no heat setting and coat will smell a treat when you remove it. I am very pleased with the results and would recommend this method for making an old coat smell nice again. Thanks for your time Gray

Junior Fur freak

Well when I say dryer I mean tumble dryer and you run it on no heat setting so I cannot see how that dries out pelts. Sorry I should have said tumble dryer on no heat tumble just with fan and drum running. Cheers Gray

Hello
    I to have a coat that smells.
    Im prity sure its carpet mites as well.
    but what do you mean (bounce) I now its a fabric softner well thats what i found when i googled it.I live in New Zealand and we dont have this product here, does it have to be bounce or can i use another brand.and what do you mean by a sheet does it come in a sheet
    I would Really Like to get rid of this smell.
    Please help!!!!!

Junior Fur freak

Yes Bounce sheets are what you put in the tumble dryer with the washing to be dried to make the washing smell nice and fresh. Bounce is just a product name any alternative will do and if you cannot find an alternative you could try and make your own. Buy a spry can of deodorant that you like the smell of and soak two or three hankerchiefs with the sray. Let the hankies dry out completely (this is important as you do not want to dry out the coats pelts) and then add them to the coat and tennis balls in the dryer. Remember to use a no heat setting for your coats hour tumble. Please let me know how you get on, best of luck. Gray

thanks will do
    Cheers

bootedfuredbabe

hi all and heres a idea mites die in direct sun light and the sun also rids many smells depending how deep it is

Once a blue fox a gf of mine had a musty smell and the hanging it outside in the sun worked quite well. But this may not work for all smells.(especialy cigarette smoke).
    I AM THE LAW.

Riddle: The more you take away from it the larger it grows, what is it?
    Answer: A hole

Forum Sponsor Member

One of the old tricks is to wipe the fur in WHITE vinegar. It sounds daft but it does work.You can do this by dipping a comb in the vinegar and working it slowly over the fur, and then against the fall of the fur. Do not get the fur too wet- better to do it twice if in doubt. Do not dry the fur by hairdryer or anything else, just let it dry at room temperature. The lining will probably smell stale as well - take it out and reline it. Never use a brush on fur - a comb is best. When the job is complete spray it lightly with perfume of your choice and put it in a binliner overnight. Good luck.

Addicted FUR Member Fur fan man's Avatar

I am in the same scenario as Gray49. I've bought a 60s fur coat with an odour and need to get rid of it. I have been quoted 160 by a fourrier which is not in my budget so wondering whether people can verify the above suggestions or provide other ideas. Thanks.

I too have heard that placing a fur in direct sunlight eliminates odors... that, with the other suggestions above, should go along way to eliminating your odors.