Thread: fur coats and freezers

Default fur coats and freezers

We've recently found one or two clothes moths in our cupboard despite having anti moth strips in the cupboard. Many web sites suggest putting your furs in a freezer for a few days to kill any moth eggs or larvae in the fur. However I've also found sites that say do NOT put your furs in a freezer.

Could anyone here, with all your combined collective knowledge possibly advise me as to which advice is correct. My wife has two fur coats, a long rabbit , and a mid length blue fox coat, and a fox stole, and we really do not want them being attacked by moths.

I know we have several professional furriers on the site, and it would be great to get some definitive advice on this.

Many thanks, in anticipation.
    Last edited by Isiss; September 11th, 2012 at 12:34 AM.

Default Re: fur coats and freezers

I don't know for certain, but if you do put them in a freezer I imagine it would have to be a dry 'cold storage' freezer, not a regular damp one.
    Global Moderator for FFG.

PLEASE follow the Forum Rules, located in the FAQ section!.

Thanks for your reply 2DYE4. Yeah, that's what worries me, dampness. The sites that say it is ok to freeze say to seal the furs in a plastic bag and squeeze the air out before putting in the freezer.

I'm still not sure whether to try it or not. There must be SOMEONE here who has tried it or has further information. The alternative is anti moth chemicals, but I'm not very happy about suffusing clothing and furs with insecticides and then been worn. (Don't care about the moths, it's more the effects of breathing in etc. chemicals)

Never ever store moth balls or pesticides near your furs. Not only will you never be able to remove the smell, the chemicals will ruin the composition of the leather hides as well. The same goes for sealing furs in plastic bags. Furs need to be stores in breathable nylon bags for safe keeping. However it is not recommended you keep them in bags like this full time, but only when you are traveling with them. If you want to keep your furs away from moths, take them to your furrier and have them put the furs in one of their cold storage vaults.